First of all, Thank you for volunteering!!
The team manager is an important component in creating the flow of communication, not only with the team (players, parents & coaches), but between the Divisional Managers, other teams, referees, officials, and the Juan de Fuca Minor Hockey Association. The role of team manager can be complex and thus organizational skills, tact and courtesy are essential qualities.
By taking on the operation aspects of a team, the manager enables the coaches to focus on player development and on-ice instruction. The manager may also act as a coordinator within the team if there are other parent volunteers involved (ie-treasurer, safety person, phone person, etc.). The manager reports to the head coach.
Once teams are chosen, if you are interested in becoming a manager, submit your name to the coach.
1. All Managers must have the Respect in Sport Course. Must be recertified every FIVE years (changed from 4 years in 2014-2015).
2. All Managers must complete a criminal record check.
The RIS and CRC costs, as well as the HCSP Course, are team responsibilities. Once the team manager and the hockey safety person is chosen, it is the team's responsibility to cover the cost of these courses.
Basic Manager Duties:
Each team is must have a team parent meeting by October 31, 2019 at the very latest, and submit the form below from BC Hockey. Once complete, please forward to your divisional manager and to the JDF Head Manager at your earliest convenience. Each team should consider having a minimum of 2 or 3 team meetings over the course of the season.
Sportsmanship in the stands videos and form:
More information can be found on the BC Hockey Website by clicking HERE this information includes:
- Parent meeting online form
- Parent Presentation (Powerpoint)
- Parent Presentation (Video)
- Parent Meeting Policy (PDF)
- Parent Meeting Form (PDF)
- Parent Code of Conduct and Fair Play Code
This meeting should allow for the coaches to address the parent group regarding:
- Coaching philosophy
- Bench management
- Dress code
- Dressing room expectations
- JdFMHA Policy and Procedures, Code of Conducts
- Time requirements to be observed before practices and games
- BC Hockey Sportsmanship in the Stands.
- The Manager and/or Coach should also discuss:
3. Team Rules/Safety
4. Managing Team Schedule (inputting games and practices into website, etc.) For assistance and questions regarding the website, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Organizing Games (ie. timekeeper, scorekeeper, referees).
6. Applying for Tournaments (or designate a tournament coordinator from your team)
Please note, JdFMHA will advance the funds for one tournament to be paid back by December 31st. Please see Tournament Advance Requests
on the 'Team Treasurer/Fundraising' page.
2015 BC Hockey Bulletin Interdistrict & USA Tournament Travel / Exhibition game Interdistrict & USA Tournament Travel / Exhibition game form JDFMHA Tournament Permission form
(if requested) from JDF President
Also, please be aware of INSURANCE COVERAGE
. Team manager will be required to make sure ALL team players have travel insurance, either through their employment or have purchased travel insurance.
6. Organizing Travel (Can also designate) Please read important Bulletins above from BC Hockey.
• For teams that are going to Provincials / Ferry travel vouchers / Coaching courses: http://www.viasport.ca/grants
7. Team Activities
8. Complete electronic game sheets and ensure the game sheet is delivered to the game referee (via timekeeper's box) at least five minutes before every home game.
(Blank Game Report sheet
) If for some reason the tablet is not working, you may use a paper game sheet however you will still have to input the information to the electronic game sheet.
9. Liaise between coaches, parents, divisional managers.
Please Note: Be sure all players are eligible to play at JdFMHA; if you play an ineligible player, your team can be disqualified. Check the list the Registrar provides you with to ensure all players on your team are registered. Email the Registrar for an updated HCR (Hockey Canada Roster) if you are unsure and note, for playoffs you will need to provide an updated HCR to your Director/Commissioner. VIAHA checks this list as well.
Much of this information can also be found on the Manager's Manual Page.
|Esso Medals of Achievement || |
Under the program, three medals of achievement for most improved player, most dedicated player, and most sportsmanlike player are available to every hockey team registered with Hockey Canada. As well, each team can receive certificates of participation to recognize the efforts of every player. This is a free program.
|ePact Medical Information ||All players MUST fill out the electronic medical sheet before setting foot on the ice each season. |
|Hockey Canada Injury Report ||Submit the fully completed form to the Branch Office including original receipts. Put a copy of the Injury Report in the "Injury Report Box" at JDF Arena. This must be done within 90 days of the accident/injury. |
|Player Injury Report Log ||This forms needs to be filled out by the safety person, coach or manager. This will be your only record of accident/injury as the injury report needs to be submitted ASAP. |
|Incident Report Form ||Fill out this form if you witness unacceptable behavior and forward to Head Manager, VP Operations. |
|VIAHA Game Report Sheet ||This form is to be emailed to the appropriate Division Managing Director within 24 hours of game completion. Game sheets must be postmarked to the appropriate Division Managing Director within 72 hours of game completion. |
|Tournament Sanction Form || |
|BC Hockey Special Event Sanction Form ||A Special Event Sanction Form must be filled out online and approved for off-ice activities, ie-fundraising events, dryland training, etc. If this is not filled out and there is an injury/accident, you will not be covered by the insurance plan. |
If you are planning a tournament, a Special Event Sanction Form must be filled out online (click on the Special Event Sanction Form to the left). As well, you must notify the tournament director and ice coordinator of you tournament intentions.
|Interdistrict & USA Tournament & Exhibition Game Sanction Form ||In addition to completing the online application, you must also complete and submit the Interdistrict & USA Tournament & Exhibition Form - 90 days prior to the start of the event. |
BC Hockey teams traveling outside of the province or country should review the Travel Insurance Information Insurance Coverage - Out of Country Competitions and / or Players Bulletin.
Other Manager Information